Monday, November 02, 2015

What is wrong?

These days there is a very thin line between being a girl and being wrong. In fact they can be seen interchangeably! A girl wearing a short dress is seen as a whore. A girl with multiple male friends is labelled a slut. A girl is looked down at if she is wearing a bold lipstick shade or walks with an attitude. I say, it is because the people with these questionable eyes are jealous and insecure that they can't carry it well with the same confidence and she may be appreciated more. I work in night shifts and my mother keeps arguing over the work I do. Basically she's not bothered with what I do but she is concerned with my odd working hours, which is odd because it's not socially accepted! Her reason is she is not willing to answer the society or rather explain that my work is respectable and my shifts are "normal". For that matter, any mother would have the concern of what people are going to say, how are they going to conceive the idea of working at night or accept anything unconventional. Every mother worries herself with the diminishing chances of getting a right husband for her "aging" daughter with so many socially unacceptable traits. As if all the guys of her age are married already and she will have to be under scrutinizing gaze of the society for being unmarried and approaching 30. Who decides the right age for getting married for someone? Who decides what's right and what's not for me? I'm an individual and I have all the rights to make decisions for myself, to judge what's good for me! Mere being a girl snatches all the decision making rights from us or our parents and are given to the society. How are we going to make things right for us? Part ourselves from the wrong! Is education enough? No awareness or any amount of exposure can really change the mindset of our society that has been carved by stone with time. People will develop, let us walk along, get better until that one fine day when they will turn around and point at us only to call us wrong again!

No comments:

Post a Comment