Sunday, November 30, 2014

Where is my security!?

Today on my way to work while I was waiting in the queue to put my bags through metro security check, I noticed a tourist woman who took bags from her younger counterpart and asked her to move onto the front to collect the bags. Their lack of trust in our security pricked me but I shrugged it off thinking we can't change their mindset about our country. We moved forward and I picked my bags too from the machine. They were joined by two men from the other queue and were still walking close because of the crowd. What happened next really moved me and pushed me to think about the image they carry of our city rather than country.  I saw the woman pulling the girl ahead of her and the men, asking her to cover her revealed shoulders and back.

Is the image they are carrying not true? Is our mindset correct towards women? What are we doing to provide safety to these insecure tourists, to improve conditions for our own women? Are these tourists really safe here?

Will we continue getting raped, harassed, ogled at; every second that we step out in the world, will we always be vulnerable, made to feel fragile even when we are not! It's a question that will always be there like a demon on our heads to which there never will be any answer. As long as women won't speak up, men won't stand up for every women being harassed, we as citizens won't do anything to protect our own women; nothing will change.

Gone are the days when I used to be proud to be a part of Delhi. Today, I am ashamed to be from the city known for its unsafe streets for women and ever rising rape cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment